Squib in Action¶
Squib is in use by a lot of people! You can learn a lot from looking at how a whole project is put together.
A good way to peruse Squib code is to search for Ruby files on GitHub that have the phrase
require 'squib' in them. And these are the just the people who have decided to release their code open source!
Here are some of my own board and card games that use Squib. They are all under “active” development, which means that sometimes I leave them alone for long periods of time ;)
- Escape from Scrapland is a 9-card nano-game solo roguelike that I started July 2017. I’m also doing some video on it, found here.
- Your Last Heist is a big-box cooperative game. Lots of really cool Squib things in here, including lots of Rake features, color+bw, and showing how skills can “level up” on their backs by diff’ing the stats in Squib. You can see what the components look like at the game website. Also: the best game I’ve ever made.
- Victory Point Salad. A card-only game with lots and lots and lots of cards. Pretty straightforward as far as Squib usage goes, but it’s a good peek into how I like to use Squib. Also: the funniest game I’ve made.
- Junk Land A game I made prior to making starting Squib, but then ported over to Squib while developing Squib. Uses some strange features of SVG, but also a good intro. Also: the scrappiest game I’ve made.
Want to donate back to Squib? Volunteer to playtest these games :)
Open Source Projects using Squib¶
Poking around GitHub, here are a few sightings of Squib:
- Ecovalia - a game rapidly prototyped in a hackathon. Squib is featured in their video!
- Werewolf implemented and even uses GitHub releases!
- Cult Following is a neat-looking project
- Mad World uses CircleCI to build, even with some custom fonts.
Other Projects Using Squib¶
Here are some closed-source projects that use Squib:
- ScrapyardArmory’s Dysplacement was used with Squib, and won the Worker Placement contest over at TheGameCrafter.
- One Last Job - A 2-player Assymetrical Heist Card Game (from regular Squib contributor Brian Cronin)
Want yours here?¶
Create an issue on Github and ask for a link her and we’ll add it here!